Monday 28 July 2008

perfect petra

I am sitting ina very chic hotel feeling out of place in my dusty clothes. I have come across the road from our modest hostel with crooked and wonky stairs to this air conditioned delight.
What a day...let me think when did I last update you?
Well after Amman we drove to the dead sea. We had the place to ourselves and bobbed about in the warm water. A strange experience before covering ourselves in mud and feeling very smooth. We drove up through the mountains looking down at the crystal blue water. The salt on the shore line creating the illusion of a wave frozen whilst breaking.
We arrived after a long day in wadi mussa. We sat in the evening outside the hotel, a stream runs past the front steps from the spring so we chilled our wine as ladies washed their clothes.
Today was up early and off to Petra just a few miles down the road but a different world. We arrived early so as to take advantage of the relative coolness. What a place! The colours of the rock, the skill of the carving the expanse, the canyons.Nature and man working in harmony to create unfaulting beauty. We walked for hours and hours wondering through the ancient world so perfectly preserved. We climbed the high hill to the monestry where we sat under the shade of hessian sacks on beduion seats and watched the donkeys and admired the stone. It was so hot in the afternoon that we retreated and sat in a beudoin tent where we were invited to share gorgeous sage tea. And now here I am tired dusty but inspired and excited about the prospect of Wadi rum desert tomorrow.

I love you all but must now leave as my stomach tells me it is time to eat!

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

No comments: