Tuesday 12 August 2008

kings queens nad grandad

I am writing from a place charmingly called interent coffee in Aswan Egypt. It is located on the busy Nile street and I can hear the tooting of the old perguet taxis and the roaring engines of the converted trucks which serve as brightly decorated buses, their multi coloured mud flaps adding colour to the street scene.
Since my last entry time has flown by. I spent the day with the friendly police man Said, he took Bryony and I too lunch dressed in his crisp white uniform buttons gliztening in the sun, I then met him for tea in the afternoon and we sat on golden thrones in a small shop sipping Hibiscus tea. These chance meetings often end up being the most enjoyable.
After another night in Hurgahda the awful tourist town it was off in the afternoon of the following day in convoy bound for Luxor.
An early start after this long journey for a sunrise hot air balloon trip over the valley of the kings.
It was beautiful I have never experienced the sensation of calmy floating. We watched the sun rise over the Nile the valley of the kings become pink with early morning light and the farmers begin to till the fields.
After a smooth landing and a dance with the local children who came running or riding on donkeys we set off to the valley itself. It was rather a disappointing experience. The tombs were crowded and we shuffled round as if on a conveyour belt unable to properly pay repsect to the amazing paintings and carvings. By 11am it was blisteringly hot. we headed to watch some Alabaster being shaped into goblets and vases. I fell in love with a statue of Queen Neffitii, however I decided that due to price and space I had to leave her behind. After an afternoon at the temple of Hatshuptu we headed back into Luxor. I went to use the internet cafe but unfortunately there was another power cut and the telephone line was down so instead I popped into the next door shop to browse. Whom should I see high on a shelf but my Queen in deep blue. Two old men sat at a desk watching my growing enthusiasm. I then spent the afternoon with them drinking tea and talking and ofcourse being pursuaded that I could not live without Neffattii. So now it is with heavy rucksac I will return home leaving clothes at every port to ease the load.
From Luxor it was onto Aswan by train. An early morning up to make breakfast for everyone and to the station to catch the 7am train leaving the truck behind. We waited and waited the train finally arrived at 9.45am! I dont think I will complain about British rail again. We arrived in Aswan and then we were off with our Egyptian Grandad. A gorgeous old man, a pure charmer, wearing white shirt trousers gloffing cap and slippers. He walked gracefully swinnging his walking stick. Everyone fell in love with him at first sight. He took us to Temple of Phillae. A beautiful temple on an island reached by small motor boat. We stayed there for a long time watching the shadows lengthen and the heat drain from the air.
And now here I am thinking it is late afternoon as I have been up since 3 am. We had to set off early to Abu Simbel. The drive taking 3 hours. We all slept on the way there waking to see the water and in the distance Sudan and the Sahara desert. The temple was stunning and I really mean that, I walked in awed silence hushed by the skill and the splendour and the sheer scale of the carvings. Walking between two statues of Rameses II 2o metres high into a cool dark room, the ceiling supported by beautiful statues.
What a place. So we explored and then headed back arriving back in Aswan at lunch time.

Tomorrow we take to the Nile for a few days cruising on a traditional felucca to Luxor. I cannot believe I am heading home so soon! I will see you all anon

Love to all

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No comments: